What is equality?
Equality is about making sure people are treated fairly and given fair chances. Equality is not about treating everyone in exactly the same way, but it recognises that their needs are met in different ways.
By promoting equality, we should be able to remove discrimination in the areas of:
- sex and sexuality;
- marital, civil partnership or family status;
- race, colour, nationality or ethnic origin;
- religious belief and political opinion.
What is diversity?
Diversity is about recognising, valuing and taking account of people’s different backgrounds, knowledge, skills and experiences. It is about encouraging and using those differences to create a productive and effective workforce.
How do we promote equality and diversity?
We promote equality and diversity by:
- selecting for employment, promotion, training or any other benefit on the basis of aptitude and ability;
- not tolerating any form of intimidation, bullying or harassment;
- recognising and valuing individual differences and contributions;
- providing a work environment that promotes dignity and respect to all;
- reviewing employment policies, practices and procedures to ensure fairness.